Friday, June 6, 2008

The Glass is One Third Full

I’m not a “the glass is half full” guy. I’m not a “the glass is half empty” guy. And for an engineer, you’d probably say I’m a “the glass is twice as big as it needs to be” guy. No, I’m a wine drinker. My glass is about one third full and that’s the way I like it.

We’ve had Tomaiolo wine before. This time, I’m popping open their Tuscana I.G.T. This is a nice Supertuscan, a blend of Sangiovese, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot. It has the floral berry Sangiovese smell, a hint of mown hay and mint of the Merlot. The tannins are smooth and well rounded. There are strawberry, pomegranate, cherry and blackberry flavors. A little tar, tobacco and mineral with allspice on the finish. The wine is on the dry side with a nice acid balance. It isn't a big, high alcohol fruit bomb with inky extracted color. No, it's more of a table wine that you don't have to think about while drinking.

So this isn’t simple, peasant wine but it is rustic enough. We paid $12.99 at a wine shop for this bottle. I like it and for my money, this is what I want when I want something that is not over-the-top.

2 comments:

Taster B said...

...you might also think all we ever eat is pizza. ;-)

Joe Roberts said...

Nothin' wrong with a p(l)easant wine *at all*.

However, using your in place of you're is borderline unforgivable... ;-)